Subject Leader: Miss Hodges
We value Art and Design as an important part of all children’s entitlement that engages, inspires and challenges pupils whilst providing them with an opportunity to express themselves in a visual and tactile form. Art and Design is about exploring, experimenting, creating and inventing, encouraging children to make links and express themselves creatively. Our Art and Design curriculum ensures that our children develop detailed knowledge and skills across the curriculum and, as a result, achieve exceptionally well and is reflected in our consistently high outcomes for our pupils.
Our pupils will:
- have access to a varied range of high quality Art and Design experiences
- foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual Art and Designs and a knowledge of Artists, craftspeople and designers, through links with the local and wider multicultural community.
- stimulate children’s creativity and imagination by providing visual, tactile and sensory experience
- help children explore the world at first hand, using all their senses and experimentation, and so gain knowledge and understanding of the world in which they live
- develop children’s understanding of colour, form, texture, pattern and their ability to use materials and processes to communicate ideas, feelings and meanings
- inspire confidence, value and pleasure in Art and Design
- cultivate children’s aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed judgements about Art and Design and become actively involved in shaping environments
- teach children to express their own ideas, feelings, thoughts and experiences
- develop children’s design capability
- enhance children’s ability to value the contribution made by Artists, craft workers and designers and respond critically and imaginatively to ideas, images and objects.