Subject leader: Mrs Jackson
At Trinity Academy Richmond we aim to engage, inspire and challenge pupils through a modern, ambitious and relevant education in computing. We want to equip pupils to use computational thinking and creativity that will enable them to become active participants in the digital world.
Whilst ensuring they understand the advantages and disadvantages associated with online experiences, we want children to develop as respectful, responsible and confident users of technology, aware of measures that can be taken to keep themselves and others safe online.
Our pupils will:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Understand and apply the principles of e-safety
- Know about great programmers, computer technologists and innovators, and understand the historical and cultural development of their ideas
- Experience a diverse range of computing through STEM visits and visitors
- Learn about career opportunities that involve computing
To implement our computing curriculum, we have a variety of hardware available to pupils including:
- A class set of laptops
- A class set of Ipads
- Makey Makey coding resources
- Bee Bot programming resources
Today’s children and young people are growing up in an ever developing society. Many young people see the internet, various devices and mobile phones as positive, productive and creative elements in their learning. Above all, modern technologies support social activity and allow young people to feel connected to their peers.
We all have an important role in balancing the opportunities offered with the potential risks that technologies pose, by supporting children and young people to develop as safe and responsible users of technology.
At Trinity Academy Richmond, pupils build online resilience through the use of the ‘Project Evolve – Education for a Connected World’ framework. The framework aims to support and broaden the provision of online safety education, so that it is empowering, builds resilience and effects positive culture change. The objectives promote the development of safe and appropriate long-term behaviours.
View our online safety policy on our policies page.