Subject Leader: Miss Hodges
We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and its effectiveness and are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers.
Our Design and Technology curriculum ensures that our children develop detailed knowledge and skills across the curriculum and, as a result, achieve exceptionally well and is reflected in our consistently high outcomes for our pupils.
Our pupils will:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Know about great designers, innovators and craftspeople, and understand the historical and cultural development of their designs.
- Experience a diverse range of design and technology through STEM visits and visitors
- Learn about career opportunities that involve design and technology
- Enable children to become happy designers, makers and evaluators: confident, resilient and independent.